Property worth thousands of dollars was gutted by fire early in the morning today at Chitima flea market with the night shift guards implicated in the matter, Hevoi FM news has learnt.
The property that was burnt includes body lotions, hair extensions, combs, mirror glasses and many other items.
Some flea market traders, who spoke to HEVOI FM NEWS, said that they suspected foul play from the security guards who watch over the premises during the night.
“We suspect that this could have been the acts of security guards who look after this place when we knock off, some security guards phoned us at around 5am that there was some fire burning some property at one of our members’ stall,” one market trader said.
Another trader said: “ I came here only to see these items burnt, I cannot really figure out what could have been the cause, these guards are the ones who told us that they only saw the fire in the morning and came to put it off, I am at a loss of words as to what transpired here,” he said.
When HEVOI FM NEWS sought for comment from one of the guards who looks over the other side of the flea market said he was also shocked when called by the other securities that a vending stall was burning and rushed to put down the inferno.
“I was called at around 5am by my colleagues that there is a fire burning a vending stall and we rushed to put off the fire, that is all we saw,” a guard narrated.
The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) also attended the scene.